If my friend died and wanted me to be guardian of her minor child, how do I go about getting the minor if their grandmother has temporary custody?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend died and wanted me to be guardian of her minor child, how do I go about getting the minor if their grandmother has temporary custody?

It has been a fight from the beginning; myfriend had no relationship with her mother and vice versa. Once she got sick her mother wanted to control everything. I was POA – heathcare and financial, and well as the executor of her estate. Her last Will and testament left everything to me, including guardianship of her minor child. Should I consult with a family law attorney? In Rowan County, NC.

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and the trouble that has ensued.  Yes, you should hire an attorney as soon as possible.  Her Mother obviously brought a proceeding for temporary guardianship and won.  But the wishes of your friend should be adhered to. Understand that it may be an uphill battle here. Judges tend to favor family members for custody of children.  You may need a good amount of proof that there was no relationship there ever and that this is not what the Mother wanted. Think of witnesses you can call.  And how old is the child?  Can she give her opinion? Does she want to stay with you?  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption