What are my duties as executor of my deceased parents’ estate?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my duties as executor of my deceased parents’ estate?

They bought land 40 years ago that none of the 4 heirs want. The estate did not go through probate; there were no other assets or money to pay taxes. Can we give the land back to the county? If we do nothing what will happen? What consequences are there for me as executor?

Asked on March 19, 2014 under Estate Planning, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your responsibilities as the executor of your parents' estate is to adminsister the estate with accountings to all heirs and distribute the assets where i presume there is a trust from what you have written. Yiu can sell the land or donate it to charity as an option. Failure to conclude your assignment could result in some heirs making claims against you.

I suggest you consult further with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption