If I’m currently renting a home but we are in a draught, what is my responsibility regarding lawn care?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently renting a home but we are in a draught, what is my responsibility regarding lawn care?

Obviously we are encountering a huge drought and have had huge restrictions as far as watering goes placed on us. The lease says that it is our responsibility to maintain the lawn and it says specificlly to water sufficiently. My interpretation of sufficent in such a rough time is minimal if any at all. Also, I pay the water bill and if I over water I get fined. Legally could I be held liable for replacing the lawn when I move out?

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the unprecedented drought in California, I would simply submit a written letter to your landlord requesting permission to let the lawn go brown not necessarily dead.   I would also look into water saving tips and practices.  
There was a recent ruling in California that HOA's cannot force owners to keep the lawns green.  Case law maybe on your side.  But, the prudence dictates that you request permission from your landlord to let the lawn go brown.  Besides, brown is the new green.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption