If I’m currently living out of the country and have 5 misdemeanor failure to pay warrants in the US, can I travel internationally?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently living out of the country and have 5 misdemeanor failure to pay warrants in the US, can I travel internationally?

Will traveling internationally ( to and from the US) get me detained or would they go unnoticed?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Warrants don't generally go "unnoticed."  If you go through a port and they check your history, it could pop up and they may detain you.  However, most states are not going to extradite you from a foreign county and will send a response back not to arrest you on the warrants.  Emphasis here -- most states.  Within states, the decision will also be up to the individual jurisdiction-- whose policies will also vary by county.  And just to make it more interesting-- a lot will also depend on the relationship of the U.S. with the county that you are in.    So you can travel, just allot plenty of times for delays in the event that someone decides to detain you because of the warrants.  If you really want to be safe, try to find a way to mail in the money for the warrants so they can get cleared off your record. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption