Must I include an inheritance that I will be receiving on my financial aid forms for college?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must I include an inheritance that I will be receiving on my financial aid forms for college?

I am currently 17 years old, and am in high school. I will be 18 this summer, and will receive about 30,000 from an inheritance that my dad left me when he passed. I plan to go to college. Do I have to include this inheritance on my financial aid forms ? What are ways to avoid putting it on there ?

Asked on February 11, 2015 under Business Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether you must include it depends on what exactly the forms say. If they say you must disclose all assets that you own *now*, then if you don't yet have the inheritance, you would not need to disclose it. If the forms say that you must disclose all assets or income you anticipate having during your freshman year, then you would have to disclose it. You have to be honest, but you don't have to go beyond what it asks and volunteer additional information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption