What happens if a co-owner of property wants to leave their property?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a co-owner of property wants to leave their property?

I am a co-owner of a house. The other co-owner, my boyfriend, and I are not getting along. I want out but I put a $30,000 pool in how can I recoop this money and walk away. There is no equity; we owe about $15,000 more then it’s worth.

Asked on March 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the dispute that you and the other joint owner have with respect to the real property that you own where there is no equity in it is for you both of you to sign an agreement with respect to who will maintain the property after you move out with respect to its debt load and other issues. The best way is to have some real estate attorney prepare a partnership agreement where in 5 years or so the property would be sold or one owner would buy out the other.

Hopefully by then there will be some equity in the property for you to get something out of it when it is sold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption