If I’m considering filing for bankruptcy, how will this effect my sister since she and I purchased a house together?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m considering filing for bankruptcy, how will this effect my sister since she and I purchased a house together?

I am current on all my cards, car and house but am only able to make minimum payments. I feel that I will start falling behind. I plan on keeping the car and house. The house I purchased with my sister. If I file for bankruptcy will this affect her in anyway? The house is worth less then what I currently owe. I also intend to continue to play my school loans as well. I am only hoping to eliminate my credit card debt.

Asked on November 5, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


Greg Wiley / Law Office of Greg Wiley PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It should have no effecton your sister as long as you pay on the house.  If both of you are on the note, both of you are 100% liable on the note.  If you can't pay, they will collect from her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption