If I am being turned down for jobs due to being discharged from a previous job, do I have a case?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being turned down for jobs due to being discharged from a previous job, do I have a case?

I was employed by a drug store chain last year. I was discharged due to a violation of company policy. The incident that occurred was that I had took 2 iced teas before paying for them, with full intent to pay for them by the end of my shift. I am now being denied jobs and it is basically running my life over $1.98. I am wondering if I have a strong case here.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Archibald J Thomas / Law Offices of Archibald J. Thomas, III, P.A. - Employee Rights Lawyers

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no law obligating an employer to ignore previous employment history including prior discharges when they make employment decisions.  You would not have a claim against an employer because of a failure to hire based on having been terminated in the past for the reasons you described unless you can establish some type of discrimination or other improper motive in violation of state or federal law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption