What are my rights if I am being taken to court for a vehicle I did not purchase or sign for?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I am being taken to court for a vehicle I did not purchase or sign for?

The vehicle was purchased by my current partner before we met. My signature is not on the contract. It was defaulted and the bank repossessed it last year. The bank is suing us both for outstanding fees after they sold it at auction.

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are being sued for a deficiency judgment by the lender of an automobile that you never purchased and where you never signed any loan for nor co-signed for, you need to remember that the plaintiff bears the burden of proving that you are somehow responsible for the claims plead against you.

Your best defense is that you never signed any documents with respect to the car and that you were never married to your partner who seemingly signed all documentation concerning the loan for the car.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption