If I am being harassed by myHR director, what state or federal agency doI contact?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being harassed by myHR director, what state or federal agency doI contact?

My HR director has called me names and scheduled me for shifts she knows I can’t work. I am being harassed. What should I do next? I told her boss and nothing happened.

Asked on August 31, 2011 Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The important question is *why* is she doing this? For example, if she is harassing you on acount of your race, sex, religion, age over 40, or disability, that is clearly illegal and you may have a cause of action or claim. Or if she is harassing you to retaliate against  you, because you had used a protected benefit (for example, FMLA leave) or filed a protected claim (such as for worker's compensation, overtime, or about illegal discrmination), that would be illegal, too. But if she "merely" does not like you, that is, unfortunately, competely legal--there is no law which requires supervisors to treat employees reasonably or fairly. So if this a personal issue between the two of you, or if, alternatively, she feels you are a bad worker and is "punishing" you for that reason, what she is doing is most likely legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption