What to do if I am being harassed by a collection agency for a bill that I paid off over 5 years ago?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am being harassed by a collection agency for a bill that I paid off over 5 years ago?

I have no records from this bill because I believe I paid it off so the records went in the trash. How do I stop this?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Ok start with asking for the Collection Agency to Validate the Debt.  They need to send three things once you as - in writing asap: Proof that the collection company owns the debt/or has been assigned the debt. At a minimum, some account statements from the original creditor but you have a right to require a complete payment history, starting with the original creditor. And a copy of the original signed loan agreement or credit card application but account statements from the original can fulfill this requirement.  Once you have those then you have to take a look at them carefully to try and piece together your proof.  Also check the statute of limitations in your area for the collection.  It is not going to be easy but you are going to have to try and get the proof that you need. If you do not have something you may have to try and negotiate the debt. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption