What to do if I’m being accused of using my ex-girlfriend’s credit card to make unauthorized purchases?

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being accused of using my ex-girlfriend’s credit card to make unauthorized purchases?

I found this out because a police officer showed up at my dads house asking for me. My dad told him I don’t live there anymore. The police officer then stated that they will just put out a warrant for my arrest. What does that mean? Well I know that it means I will be arrested if I have a run in with the police. I guess my better question is, did they just want to get my side of the story and since they couldn’t find me they are issuing a warrant? They can’t charge me without my side of the story correct?

Asked on March 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you absolutely can be arrested and charged without having been given the opportunity to present your side of the story.  What you need to do immediately is retain an attorney to represent you.  The attorney can contact the detective, investigate the allegations, and possibly convince the detective to close the case.  In the event that the detective is determined to pursue an arrest warrant, the attorney can negotiate a low or reasonable bond and arrange for you to turn yourself in, instead of being arrested wherever you may be found.  You should consult with an experienced attorney right away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption