What to do if I’m being accused of forging a doctor’s note that was given to my employer for time I was out after life threatening surgery?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being accused of forging a doctor’s note that was given to my employer for time I was out after life threatening surgery?

No one at the doctor’s office is admitting to having signed the doctors signature and claiming a copy is not in my medical file even though it was hand delivered to the office. It has turned into a he said/she said situation and my employer is accusing me even though there is no proof of my having done anything wrong. I am now on paid administrative leave pending an ‘investigation’ that for past employees has always led to termination. I work for a small local government in an at-will state. Do I have any hope of being able to keep my job when I have no way disprove something I didn’t do?

Asked on August 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Working for a small local government in an employment at will state though all states are employment at will that's the nature of U.S. employment means have no right to your job and no real protections for it. If your employer believes that you may have forged a note, then they may suspend or terminate you based on that, even if they cannot prove it. It would be different if you were part of the civil service or had a written employment contract including a union contract then, they'd need to follow the specified disciplinary procedures and might not be able to take action if they had insufficient evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption