Does the landlord has the right to refuse to renew my lease because my soon to be ex wife is not here to sign the renewal?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the landlord has the right to refuse to renew my lease because my soon to be ex wife is not here to sign the renewal?

Several months ago my wife left me, I have no idea where she is or how to contact her. My problem is that the lease on my apartment is up for renewal and the landlord will not renew it because she isn’t here to sign the lease. Do I have any recourse or options?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I think that the landlord can refuse to renew under any reason so long as it is non-discriminatory and against the law.  I think that the landlord is protecting them selves against what could become being in the middle of a divorce dispute about "marital residence" and quite frankly, they may be quite smart to do so.  Your wife can not sign on the lease.  So if you sign alone it give the appearance that the property has become a separate residence, although I think it could be disputed later on.  But that indicia of being a separate residence may impact on the marital property involved on the inside of the apartment.  I think you should seek help from a divorce attorney in your area and that you should ask the landlord to allow you to go month to month until you get an "exclusive occupancy" order from a judge.  Time to move on and figure out the whole picture.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption