If I’m an only daughter, what do I do if my mom’s Will was lost?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m an only daughter, what do I do if my mom’s Will was lost?

I am currently overseas where my mom died. Her last U.S. address was in NY. I hired a lawyer and gave him my mom’s Will to get it probated. However, he closed his firm and left no trace or forwarding info. What do I do? I checked with probate court and the Will was never probated. Where do I get a copy of the Will? As the only daughter, how do I proceed? What documents

do I need?

Asked on February 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Do you have a copy?  New York allows for a copy to be submitted in place of the original.  Of course the witnesses will need to file affidavits.  If, however, you are an only child under the intestacy statutes (dying without a WIll) you get everything anyway.  You could proceed without a Will in an Administration.  Seek legal help from another and make sure that you ask about tax implications with or without a Will, if any.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption