How do I find out if my late father had life insurance or a Will?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if my late father had life insurance or a Will?

My father passed away 34 years ago. My mother still lives in the same house that he died in. I have no idea if he left a Will. I do not know if I had a right to anything being a minor child at the time he died. I have never been given any kind of information as to what she has been living on all these years. ( My mother does not work ) My mother and I are not on speaking terms because of a different matter. How do I find anything out in regard to this?

Asked on February 8, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the status of your situation.  If your Father's estate was Probated then you can check the court file since it is a public record.  You would be entitled to inherit any of his separate estate regardless of your age if he had no Will.  If he had a Will then his Will would govern.  I say separate estate because anything held jointly with your Mother would pass to her automatically at the time of his death.  Good luck with everything. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption