What will happen if I am an international student on F-1 visa and had a shoplifting case and got ACD?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I am an international student on F-1 visa and had a shoplifting case and got ACD?

I got ACD, without any community service and my case was going to get dismissed by the end of last month. Is the letter of disposition the only thing I need to collect from the court or there are some other papers as well which may be required later when I get my visa renewed? Also, I’m planning to visit Mexico with friends next year, in the Spring. Can my case, even though dismissed, by any chance create a problem for me while entering US again after my trip, since it got dismissed pretty recently?

Asked on December 26, 2013 under Immigration Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should check with local criminal defense counsel in your state about filihng expungement proceedings or proceedings to permanently seal records. This should be sufficient to ensure you don't have any problems with visa renewal. As for your trip to Mexico, you would need to simply verify what type of visa you would need to visit as you are not in your state as a legal permanent resident or citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption