What can I do if I’an interior designer trying to get paid for the services I provided for a client?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’an interior designer trying to get paid for the services I provided for a client?

I completed work and presented an invoice on the 10th of this month (21 days ago). I have been paid a portion but my client still owes me. Is it to late to file a per-lien notice since I began work over 20 days ago? How do you suggest I proceed?

Asked on December 31, 2013 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The most straightforward thing to do is to sue the client for breach of contract (i.e. not paying what he/she agreed to pay): you'd sue in small claims court, representing yourself ("pro se") if the amount is under the small claims maximum; otherwise, speak with an attorney. You'd have to prove the terms of the agreement (that is, what you were supposed to do; and what you were supposed to be paid for doing it) and that you did the work, using some combination of witness testimony (including your own), documentation, correspondence, and photographs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption