I am an exotic dancer and just got an injury on stage, doI qualify for workers compensation since I got injured within club premises?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am an exotic dancer and just got an injury on stage, doI qualify for workers compensation since I got injured within club premises?

Exotic dancers are usually self contractors. I work at a fully nude club where all dancers must go on stage to perform on the strip pole. I was called on stage by the DJ, I went on stage and got wood splinters stabbed in my leg due to the poor maintenance on the floor. Keep in mind this stage is not cleaned between shifts and the floor has not been changed or upkept in years.

Asked on August 4, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are an independent (or "self" as you call it) contractor, you would not be entitled to worker's compensation--worker's compensation is only for employees. If you believe you were injured due to the negligence, or unreasonable carelessness, of the club in not maintaining the floor, etc. correctly, you may be able to sue for compensation--though if you did not suffer severe injury or incur much medical costs, it's most likely not worth suing.

Note that you may actually be an employee--and should be paid as an employee, be eligible for overtime, worker's compensation, etc.--even if you are called a self- or independent contractor. The issue is not how your employer characterizes you, but the nature of how you work and your relationship with them. If you only work for one club and are subject to their direction as to hours, how you perform, etc., there is a very good chance you are actually an employee and may be owed compensation (including, for example, that they should have paid the employer portion of FICA for you). A number of clubs have been successfully sued by exotic dancers for mischaracterizing them as independent contractors when they are really employees. You can go to the Department of Labor (DOL) website for information on when someone is an independent contractor and when they are an employee, and/or consult with an employment attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption