If I am an “employee at will” and my employer is singling me out for a new pay plan that will reflect a 15% pay cut, do I have to sign?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am an “employee at will” and my employer is singling me out for a new pay plan that will reflect a 15% pay cut, do I have to sign?

If I don’t sign the pay plan and I am terminated, will I be eligible for unemployment? I feel that my younger age is the reason for the pay cut, and my duties at work have just increased. I have not called in sick in over 3+ years and am very rarely granted a lunch break. I feel that I am being taken advantage of.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, employees are allowed to "single out" employees for different or worse treatment, so long as they are not discriminating against a specifically protected category. And, unfortunately, while the law prohibits discrimination against those over 40 (i.e. an employer can't treat older workers worse than younger), there is no protection for younger workers--an employer may legally discriminate against someone because of their youth or relative youth. From what you write, it appears that this is therefore legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption