What to do if I am a white woman and one of my supervisors is a black woman and she told me the other day she has recently become racist towards whites?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am a white woman and one of my supervisors is a black woman and she told me the other day she has recently become racist towards whites?

She gave me a bad review saying I try to find ways of getting out of doing my job. When I asked for proof she told my supervisors that I use the bathroom too much. She is constantly harassing me and gives me all the crap work that she doesn’t feel like doing. She lets the filing pile up to the sky and won’t let me file until it gets out of control. She has also gotten up in my face in the bathroom and threatened me. I told her supervisor (he is white) and he tells me this is all my fault. I have filed with the EEOC because my employer has done nothing to resolve this.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Discrimination or harassment in employment on the basis of race is illegal. That does not mean that, for example, an African American supervisor cannot criticize, write up, take negative action against, etc. a caucasion employee--just that she cannot do this because of the employee's race.

If you believe that you are suffering from racial discrimination or harassment, you can file a complaint with the EEOC and/or with the equivalent state agency in your state; or you can speak with an emplyment law attorney about possibly filing a lawsuit. If you've already spoken with the EEOC and are not satisfied with the response, you might try talking to an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption