What is my recourse if I am the victim of harassment by a co-worker?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if I am the victim of harassment by a co-worker?

i am a 60 year old white female who has been harassed by a 30 year old African American female on and off for over a year now. She has had numerous run-ins with other employees in the office but she has singled me out because I am older and have numerous health problems – high blood

pressure/coronary artery disease/bi-polar depression and anxiety. I try to ignore her but that only works for so long. She was written up last year about her behavior and warned if she had any more

problems with anyone she would be terminated but that hasn’t happened, I actually filed a police report last year but unless she strikes me the police can’t do anything. Her aggressive behavior is affecting my health. My blood pressure went high to where I had to lie down in the office and than had to see my primary doctor for another blood pressure pill and be put on Xanax. I am scared that the stress is going to cause me to have a heart attack or worse.

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that she is in fact targetting you due to age and/or health, this may be illegal emploment discrimination if your employer fails to take reasonable action after you have made your complaint/report (and after they have had some reasonable amount of time to investigate, look into the matter, etc.). It is illegal to harass an employee because she is 40 years old or older, or because of medical issues. An employer's responsibility is to investigate reports that one employee is harassing another on these bases and, if they find the report(s) credible, to take some action to prevent the harassment from continuing. If the employer fails to act after receiving credible reports of harassment, that can make the employer liable. Therefore, if this continues and your employer refuses or fails to take action, you may wish to contact the federal EEOC (which enforces the anti-discrimination and -harassment laws) to file a complaint about age- and disability-based (that is, medical condition-based) discrimination. And if you feel that your race (white) is also another factor in her harassment, also add race- or color-based discrimination to the complaint, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption