If I’m a teacher and had 2 miscarriages and complications with both so missed school but didn’t go over my sick days, was it legal to put on probation/?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a teacher and had 2 miscarriages and complications with both so missed school but didn’t go over my sick days, was it legal to put on probation/?

Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are a teacher, do you have or is your employment subject to a union or collective bargaining agreement? If so, you need to refer to what the contract says about probation, discipline, missing work, etc. since if the contract addresses this issue, it will control the outcome and determine your rights.

Without regard to your contract: generally, an employee may be put on probation at the employer's will. This includes for missing work, even if the employee did not, for example, exceed her sick days, if the employer feels that the employee's performance has been poor (e.g. if you have been distracted or unproductive at work), her attitude has been bad (such as if due to the understandable physical and emotional stress of what you describe, you were short termpered or irritable), or she violated procedures relating to missed work (e.g did not call in properly or provide proper notice). 

But again, that is as a general matter. So if you do not have a contract, the employer would seem to be able to do this. If you did have a contract, you need to review what your contract says; the employer cannot violate its terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption