If I am a successor trustee and sole beneficiary of my brother’s small estate, what are my legal responsibilities and obligations?

UPDATED: May 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a successor trustee and sole beneficiary of my brother’s small estate, what are my legal responsibilities and obligations?

He transferred his condo into the Trust which has about 140k in equity. That is all he put in the Trust, which included a pour over Will saying all goes to me to distribute as I see fit. There were. I directions to give anything to anyone. Now, my brother who passed away, was single and no children. He had 2 parents still alive and one sister, besides me, 3 nephews and 1 niece. My parents and sister, met with the woman who wrote the Trust. She handed it to me with the copy. She said he left all to me to distribute and no other names so in essence it’s all mine. Do I have to notify them and give them copy of Trust?

Asked on May 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, if you are the sole beneficiary under the trust, you have no obligation to give any other relative a copy. However, to avoid family in fighting such distribution is recommended. Likewise with respect to the pour over Will, I recommend that you probate it and obtain an order of distribution as to those assets not placed in trust. I suggest consulting with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption