If I am a salaried worker on an 84 hour/2 week week pay period but only get paid for 80 hours and I work more than 90 hours, is this legal?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a salaried worker on an 84 hour/2 week week pay period but only get paid for 80 hours and I work more than 90 hours, is this legal?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are salaried, you are not paid for the number of hours you work: you are paid a weekly salary equal to 1/52 of your annual salary. For salaried employees, it does not matter (except as below) how many hours you work--you are paid the same.

Note that some salaried workers may be eligible for overtime--being paid on a salary basis does not, by itself, make you ineligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and regulations implementing it. To not get overtime--to be exempt, as the law calls it--first, you must be paid a salary (not hourly wages); then your job must also meet one or more of the tests for exemption, which can be found on the Department of Labor's website under "wages," then under "overtime." The main tests are the executive (which really should be called the "managerial" test, since it applies to non-executive managers), administrative, and professional tests. Compare those tests to your job. If you don't qualify for an exemption, it may be that when you work more than 40 hours in a week, you are entitled to additional pay. It can be difficult to calculate this extra pay for a salaried worker; if you think you are entitled to it, discuss the matter--and how much you may be entitled to--with an employment attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption