What are an employee’s rights to a lunch break?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are an employee’s rights to a lunch break?

My mother has been working at her place of employment for over a year and has never received a lunch break. I am now currently working there and I do not either. We work between 8-12 hours at a time.

Asked on November 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In OR, meal periods of not less than 30 minutes must be provided to non-exempt employees who work 6 or more hours. Further, state law requires that a  paid rest period of not less than 10 minutes for every 4 hours worked. This time must be taken in addition to required meal periods. 
Here is a site that will provide you with further information:
If yor rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with your state's department of labor and/or contact an attorney regarding the filing of a lawsuit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption