What to do about a preferres stock certificate and a merger?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a preferres stock certificate and a merger?

I am a Private Investigator. My client has a preferred stock certificate stating 140 shares of preferred stock. It was issued in 1980 to my client’s now deceased spouse. The company was a subsidiary of the parent company and was merged into the parent company 27 years ago. The parent company is a large successful company which is privately held. My client wishes to convert the 140 shares to cash. It plainly states on the certificate that the shares are worth $100 each. I have written to the company headquarters advising them of my client’s desire. They will not respond. What are my options. Lawsuit? Other options?

Asked on October 9, 2014 under Business Law, Oregon


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When the merger occurred, there would have been some sort of notice sent to stockholders at that time.  There may have been a limited time within which to convert/sell shares.  Or the shares may have been converted into shares in the merger company.  You need to speak with someone in investor relations to find out what to do, but it may be too late.  A lawsuit does not sound like a good option at this point.  The company has not done anything except fail to respond to your letter, and they do not know you from Adam.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption