If I am a new immigrant outside of the U.S. without my green card, how soon should I return to the U.S.?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a new immigrant outside of the U.S. without my green card, how soon should I return to the U.S.?

I am a new immigrant with a social security number but no green card and I am outside of the U.S. I am currently experiencing issues with my current employer of over 12 years as they do not want me to obtain my government benefits and forcing me to leave prematurely. I intend to return to the U.S. permanently in about 2 months from now. Will it be a problem to do so as I first came to the U.S. 2 months ago but came back to Jamaica last month?

Asked on March 30, 2016 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are a permanent resident does not matter if you have the physical green card or not because that is just a proof of your status but the status exists independent of that document as well, you can be outside the US for periods of time but it should not extend beyond 6 months. However, you should probably return to the US sooner than 6 months if this is your first time outside the US after getting the green card. status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption