If I want to start a private tutoring business, how can I protect myself from being sued, if a parent is unhappy?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want to start a private tutoring business, how can I protect myself from being sued, if a parent is unhappy?

I am a MS certified teacher. I haven’t started it yet, I’m just researching. I don’t want to be held accountable if a child, for instance, takes a test and fails it. How can I protect myself?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In any new business the most important aspect is protecting one's personal assets and liabilty from that of the business. That is why many people either incorporate or create a limited liability company as the mechanism for which to run their business mechanism to run their venture under.

The business needs to be adequately capitalized and its operations need to be completely separated from an individual's own personal matters.

You also need to have adequate insurance for your venture covering you for any liability that may be claimed against you. Most importantly, you need to have adequate disclosures about the services you are providing and that there is no guarantee for the ulitmate desired result to be signed by the parents who may retain you for teaching children.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption