Can my conviction affect the renewal of my permanent residency or my attempt for naturalization?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my conviction affect the renewal of my permanent residency or my attempt for naturalization?

I have been a legal permanent resident for the past 9 years. However, when I was 17 years old I was convicted of a Attempted/Robbery, a felony. My case was handled in juvenile court and has since been sealed.

Asked on October 17, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Potentially a criminal conviction of anyone in this country can affect residency status application or a desire to become a citizen in this coutnry. With respect to your matter, since you were convicted of a crime as a minor, your file is sealed under the laws of all states in this country. Hence, it will be impossible for this country's immigration department to get your file without you first being given notice of its desire to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption