What to do if I’m a jewelry designer and have not been paid for a necklace that I made?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m a jewelry designer and have not been paid for a necklace that I made?

I had a clothing designer request a custom necklace from me with an extremely tight deadline (48 hours) for a photo shoot. I complied, and sent the necklace. It has now been a year. The photo shoot never happened, and in spite of numerous requests, the necklace has not been returned. I estimate the resale value of this necklace to be $700-$900. Do I have any recourse at all? I have email documentation and photos that I took of the necklace.

Asked on March 9, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, where is the person for whom you made the necklace...and where is the necklace. If they are within your court jurisdiction, then proceed promptly to small claims court. If they are not within your jurisdiction, you will want to select an attorney of your choice to review the matter...and/or file a police report about the apparent "theft". I would assume that the person in possession of the necklace will be more motivated to pay you when an attorney contacts them...and/or you let them know that you are going to file a police report about the "theft".

Shawn Jackson - California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption