What can I do if I’m a fence contractor who was not paid by a general contractor?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m a fence contractor who was not paid by a general contractor?

I installed a fence for a GC who never paid; he claims he never got paid from owner. However, I called the owner who proved that the GC was paid. It has been 5 months.

Asked on February 17, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hire an attorney to sue the contractor for breach of contract.  When you win, you should be able to get your attorneys' fees paid for by the contractor as well.  If it is a small amount of money, you may choose to sue without an attorney in Justice or Small Claims court.  Check the language of your contract to make sure you have a valid claim for breach.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption