If I am a daycare provider and we have 14 children that we take care of daily, should I turn it into an LLC?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a daycare provider and we have 14 children that we take care of daily, should I turn it into an LLC?

If yes, why and what cost will I incur to do so? Also what about tax consequences?I setup the business like a sole proprieter.

Asked on March 15, 2013 under Business Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes you should, just for your own protection. An LLC would protect you if something goes wrong. I assume you also have insurance since you have so much responsibilities dealing with kids. Filling for an LLC is not that expensive. You have to pay $800 each year to the tax board, plus a percentage of the money you make. Tax wise, it is not so much different than your personal tax. If you have employees, you should also set up payrolls. Talk to an attorney to find out details.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption