How to terminate a commerciial lease without penalty?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to terminate a commerciial lease without penalty?

I am a business owner and lease a small office for a vehicle shipping brokerage. The bathroom we use, is a shared room in the landlords office connected to our building. Our landlord has left for 2 weeks on vacation, allowing us no access to the bathroom, and did not give us notice. This is the 3rd time we have been left without access to running water/bathroom. This is just one of the many issues I am having while renting this office. Is this good enough reason to break our 1 year lease, that still has 5 months left?

Asked on December 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The absence of water in and of itself at the unit you rent does not give you a legal basis to terminate the lease without legal recourse. Given the multiple issues you are having with the rental I suggest that you consult with a commercial landlord tenant attorney to get the issues resolved with your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption