If I am a beneficiary to an irrevocable Trust with the grantor still alive, do I have any rights as far as getting certain documents?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a beneficiary to an irrevocable Trust with the grantor still alive, do I have any rights as far as getting certain documents?

I want statements and full copies of trust any transactions (house was sold and grantor put in a home). The trustees are not really communicating and approachable. Shouldn’t I be made aware of any transactions as far as accounts and money being invested from the home with account numbers and annual statement?

Asked on April 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The trust is not your property, even though the same may be irrevicable as you say; the trust is the grantor's property. Are you sure the trust  irrevocable and not revocable? If the trust is irrevocable you should obtain the assistance of probate litigation/estate planning counsel to assist you in obtaining the documents you are requesting. I am assuming you have been notified you are beneficiary of an irrevocable trust, in which you should be entitled to an accounting of the expenses, income, and assets as they apply to your share of the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption