I am 82 live in Georgia and have a will.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am 82 live in Georgia and have a will.

I have a will, live in Georgia and my son lives in New York State. He is sole
beneficiary. He recently moved to a new home. Qestion do I need to rewrite my
entire will or can I just add an addendum ?

Thank You

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly just add an addendum to reflect the new contact information, to make sure he can be reached if and when necessary; there is no need to redo the entire will. That said, if the move was occasioned by other life changes, e.g. getting married or having a child, you may wish to revisit the will to make sure it still meets your needs. For example: say that he is married, has had or is having children, but you have some qualms about his spouse; you might revise the will so that if he predeceases you, the money instead goes into a trust, with a trustee that you do trust, for his children's benefit, to make sure they get the benefit of it and it's used properly for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption