What are my rights if I’m 7 month pregnant and now my recent schedule has been reduced by more then half my hours?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m 7 month pregnant and now my recent schedule has been reduced by more then half my hours?

I have been 5 years with a restaurant and 4 of those years with the same schedule. Restaurant ownership has just changed, as well as my schedule, which has been reduced to less then half of what I’ve always worked. When asked why, their response was that they are trying something new. Yet the only thing new is me no longer in the shift and then paying another employee OT to work it. I feel like I’m being forced to quit.

Asked on October 19, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal to discriminate against an employee, such as by cutting or reducing her hours, because she is pregnant. Based on what you write--that the only change was to reduce your schedule while paying someone else overtime to cover your shifts--it appears that you are suffering pregancy-related discrimination. You should contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency about filing a discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption