Can I clean up my criminal history record?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I clean up my criminal history record?

I am 40 years old today. When I was youngI had 2 felony charges for theft; 1 of which was reduced to the highest class of misdemeanor (the charges are 22 and 16 years old respectively). I have had a clean record ever since. I was told that I could not get an expungement due to the 2 convictions being theft related. Is this true, even after all these years? Also, I have been running my own business now for a few years. If I were to go and apply for a job and have a criminal background check, how far back would they look? Would they see these charges?

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whomever told you about the two theft charges and convictions may have been right.  I am going to give you a link to the Hamilton County court webpage that explains this. Now, a background check should show these convictions so try running one on yourself and see.  Go and speak again to some one about the possibility of a pardon.  You have indeed turned your life around and that should be worth a try and consideration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption