I am 30 percent owner on mortgage that is up for forcloser

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am 30 percent owner on mortgage that is up for forcloser

My mom is the other 70 percent owner
on the mortgage that is on forcloser.
She lives abroad and doesn’t come up
with her share on the mortgage. What
can I do to buy out her share on the

Asked on March 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Ok this question is very complicated because it involves issues like capacity of your Mother to execute any documents that would even allow you to make decisions on her assets.  If you had her execute anything at this juncture then it could be set aside.  You need to seek legal help on how to proceed.  First, you need to speak with the bank about paying off the entire mortgage. I highly doubt that they would refuse that.  Then you need to speak with someone about having a guardian appointed for your Mother (person and assets).  You would have a claim against her estate for the funds you used to pay off her assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption