If I’m 26 and got arrested for shoplifting nearly $100 worth of merchandise, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 26 and got arrested for shoplifting nearly $100 worth of merchandise, what can I do?

This is my first arrest. I have a court soon. Can I get ACD?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in resolving the situation that you have gotten into as opposed to representing yourself. Possibly as a first time offender you may be eligible for "diversion" in your county. If so, and you satisfy the terms of your "diversion" the charge against you might be dismissed.

In a typical "diversion" program you are fined, do community service work, attend classes and are expected to stay out of legal trouble for at least six (6) months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption