IfI am a full-time 19 year old studentand my mother has removed me from her health insurance, can I be placed back onto her plan?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI am a full-time 19 year old studentand my mother has removed me from her health insurance, can I be placed back onto her plan?

My mother has removed me without asking me, can I be placed back on without her consent since the new law on health insurance was reformed?

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Insurance Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, while the health care reform gives parents the *right* to keep their children on their health insurance plans for several years after the children turn 18, it does not require or obligate them to do so--no adult is forced to buy insurance for another adult. (For example: say one member of a married couple gets health insurance through his or her work; he or she is not obligated to buy insurance for his or her spouse.) You need your mother to agree to put you on her insurance. Try offering to pay her share of the added premium if you are put back on; that way, you will save money versus buying your own plan, and she won't be out of pocket anything. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption