If I am 19 ears old and I got pregnant by my ex-boyfriend who is 17, can he be arrested if I insist on a paternity test?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am 19 ears old and I got pregnant by my ex-boyfriend who is 17, can he be arrested if I insist on a paternity test?

He is denying that the baby is his so I want to have a paternity test done. However, people have been telling me that if I go legal to try to get help I can get in trouble because he’s underage. I just want to prove its his baby; I don’t want his help in raising the baby just to prove it’s his.

Asked on October 24, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This must be a very stressful situation at this time and I urge you to get help with everything, including counseling.  Now, he would not be arrested under the scenario that you gave here but you could indeed get in to trouble.  You are the legal adult and he is a minor.  I strongly suggest that you speak with some one in the area about the situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption