I am 18 and my girlfriend is 15, can we legally have sex or even date?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 15, can we legally have sex or even date?

I went through all the IL compiled statutes and I think I am okay.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Did you also read the criminal statutes that deal with statutory rape and the right of her parents to press charges and to have you arrested?  When ever these questions come in it is always a cocern that the "age of consent" laws are what the young people focus on.  If she is a minor and you are not then you run the risk of being arrested and convicted of a sexual crime in some form or another.  If you are convicted of a sexual crime then you will have to register as a sex offender.  Imagine ruining your life at such an early age.  Please, I beg of you.  Do not do anything that would cause you to be placed on the wrong side of the law.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption