Whatt o do if I’m 14 years old and I want to live with my father?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do if I’m 14 years old and I want to live with my father?

My mother said no but my father said I could come. Now she is threatening to take him to court. There are so many reasons why I don’t want to live with my mom. When she takes him to court do I have a say in who I want to live with?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your Mother refuses to voluntarily change the custody agreement then going to court is really the only way.  You Father can bring a proceeding to change the arrangement and yes, you are old enough to testify.  If you wish to do so out of ear shot of your parents then you can ask the Judge to allow that.  Generally they will.  Now, the reasons that you wish to live with your Father will be the key - to foster a relationship, etc.  The reasons you do NOT want to live with you Mother could be important but not if they are along the line of "she won't let me hang out with my friends" or  "I can't watch TV" or "She's too strict" or stuff like that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption