I accidentally linked to what appeared to be child **** from the (admittedly adult oriented) web site I was viewing. I did not download anything.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I accidentally linked to what appeared to be child **** from the (admittedly adult oriented) web site I was viewing. I did not download anything.

Can I be prosecuted?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Please make a note of the web site where you ran across this link and what the link looked like on that page -- don't click it again!  Then, make an appointment to talk to a criminal defense attorney in your area.  One place to find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I would hope that you are not going to be caught up in a case like that, and it might make sense to clean out your temporary (cache) files, to make sure an illegal image isn't still sitting somewhere on your hard drive.

Also, I hope that your attorney can find a way to get the information about this link to the FBI, either without implicating you or in a way that guarantees that you won't be prosecuted.  Child pornography is a horrible blight on our society, it has unspeakably cruel long-term effects on most of the children trapped in that underworld, and anything that any of us can do to help catch and punish the two-legged slime responsible for it is a very good thing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption