What to do if I accidentally damaged a neighbor’s picket fence?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I accidentally damaged a neighbor’s picket fence?

I notified them immediately and take full responsibility to make things right. The property owner got a bid from her brother-in-law and showed it to us. We expressed concern about the amount of time that would be billed and did not approve the bid. The property owner had the work done anyway and expects us to just pay what the bid says. What is our legal standing in this case? I talked with the contractor about the bid and he is adamant that it is accurate, even though it has us being billed for travel time to get replacement parts when he did not travel at all; he simply made the parts and said the cost would be the same anyway.

Asked on November 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you accidentally damaged your neighbor's fence you should tender the claim against you to your presumed homeowner's insurance carrier and let your claims representative handle the matter for you. If you are concerned about the cost, I suggest that you have the neighbor pay the fix fist and provide you with a copy of the check paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption