How would one present a journal of daily activities as evidence during a child custody dispute?

UPDATED: May 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How would one present a journal of daily activities as evidence during a child custody dispute?

It’s often advised to keep a journal of daily activities with the children during a custody dispute, write down what you and your children do and any observations of inappropriate parenting tactics your ex-spouse uses. How should this evidence be presented to the court or a child custody evaluator?

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In all likelihood the journal that you have written about  concerning the daily activities of the child dispute matter that you have written about will not be introduced into evidence if you wrote it.

However, you can refer to what is in the journal to "refresh" your memory at trial while you are on the stand testifying about important matters that may have been written down in the journal soon after what you may have observed or heard.

If the neutral court evaluator is assisting on the child custody dispute matter, I would simply give him or her a copy of your journal to assist on the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption