How would I know if my former employer was pressing theft charges?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How would I know if my former employer was pressing theft charges?

I was working for a company and was caught making some fraudulent returns and
pocketing the money. They have proved it to be for approx. 350. I was confronted
about it in a meeting with higher up company leaders, they showed me what they
had on me, I admitted to it, and they told me I was to be terminated and the
police had been notified but they couldn’t arrest me because they weren’t present
at the time and I was free to leave the premises. I have not been contacted by
any police or other officials since then. It has been just over 2 weeks. Is there
a way to know if they are investigating or what I should expect? Some people I
know with legal knowledge have said if I haven’t been contacted by now, they most
likely won’t. I am very anxious about this, and if I face prosecution, it’s what
I deserve, I just want to know if there’s any way for me to know.

Asked on December 30, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no way to know until and unless you receive a summons for court and/or are arrested: ongoing police investigations are not public; and there are still months (at least) yet that the employer could choose to press charges, so they might not have even contacted the police yet--but still could. You have to live with the uncertainty for some time now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption