How will I be able to get this taken care of if the client isn’t here in the state?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How will I be able to get this taken care of if the client isn’t here in the state?

We have a client in OK who needs to settle her mother’s estate. In order to be confirmed as the

executor, our client must go to court to take an oath. She does not want to travel to GA where the estate is pending and GA law allows her to take the oath in another state if a clerk or judge can be found in that state who is willing to administer the oath. You are tasked with finding a court convenient to our client where she can take her oath. When you call the court closest to her, the judge says that he has never heard of someone taking an oath for a GA case in OK, that OK does not have anything like that and that he will not administer the oath. What do you do?

Asked on March 15, 2018 under Estate Planning, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ask the court clerk in GA, if the client can make a telephone appearance to take the oath instead of being physically present in the GA courtroom.
If the court (it will depend on the particular judge assigned to the case) allows a telephone appearance, inquire how far in advance of the court proceeding is the deadline for filing a request for a telephone appearance.  If the appropriate court form for requesting a telephone appearance is not filed and/or the filing deadline is missed, the court will deny the request for a telephone appearance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption