How we go about closing a bank account for my deceased father?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How we go about closing a bank account for my deceased father?

No Will; no beneficiary.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can do a few things. First step is to try to go to the physical branch and speak with a branch manager. Show the death certificate and the manager will need to check to see if there is a joiint owner on the account or a beneficiary. If either, the account will automatically go that individual or individuals.
If that does not help, try filing a formal complaint with the state or federal regulatory authority who regulates your bank.  You may also consider contacting the court to see if you need to file any interim paperwork naming you an administrator on the estate assets (what there are) or if your father's assets are insufficient, you may need to place this all in writing to the bank to have them release any remaining funds to the next in line in probate and close the account. Oftentimes, there may be a specific bank division (think corporate level) who can help you with this if you have a hard time at the local level.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption